Czettritz Palace

The palace, which was initially also called “Wałbrzych Castle”, was built in the years 1606–1628 by the von Czettritz family. All this occurred after the fire of the “Nowy Dwór” Castle, which ruins are to be found in the Wałbrzych district called Podgórze.
Until the half of the 17th century the mansion was occupied by the widow of Diprand von Czettritz. After her death, the palace became the property of Henryk von Czettritz and later Maria Caterina Bibrian née Czettritz. Probably no significant changes were introduced to the royal building in this period.
Finally, in 1738, the castle together with the city became the property of Conrad Maximilian Hochberg. Modernization works took place. A cylindrical tower with a staircase was added. Furthermore, a new entrance decorated with a pseudo-Renaissance portal and coat of arms of the Hochbergs (three hills above the red and white chessboard) was carved in the wall.
Since the year 1882 the seat has been subject to further modifications. A two-storey element with a flat roof was added from the south side and, in the following years, a further fragment of the wall and a high administration building were built. The last enlargement was carried out in 1922, in the southern direction.
After the war, the complex served a number of various institutions. In the years 1964–65 elevation works of the entire object were carried out.
The palace is situated on the territory of a park with the area amounting to 4.30 ha. Two villas are located there as well. In the older villa (from 1905) the duchess of English origin – Maria Teresa Pszczyńska (called Duchess Daisy), the aunt of Winston Churchill, died in 1944. She was the last owner of the “Wałbrzych” castle, the lady of Książ and Pszczyna. A pedestal commemorating the duchess was erected in the courtyard in 2007.
Since 2004 the palace has been the seat of the Angelus Silesius State Vocational School of Further Education
The Czettritz Palace is located at ul. Zamkowa 4, on the walking route called “Following Stary Gród”, marked with a red colour.